Friday, April 8, 2011

Time Passages

I was in the car the other day, and "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" by the Spin Doctors came on the radio. When the D.J. informed us listeners that the tune was from 1993, at first I just thought, "Oh, right, that was when I was living in Boston after college, before I moved to Manhattan." But then I did the math: "Holy crap, that was EIGHTEEN years ago!" Because, while it doesn't quite feel like yesterdayit certainly doesn't seem like almost two decades ago.

It got me thinking about how the passage of time feels so much different now that I'm getting older. I remember being, oh, fifteen maybe, and rolling my eyes whenever adults would say something stupid like, "Enjoy it while you can...before you know it, you'll be all grown up with real responsibilities!" Because back then, it seemed like it was taking forever to grow up. And now, of course, the years do seem to be passing by much more quickly.

But that's to be expected so it's no big deal. However, what I am having trouble wrapping my brain around is this:

When I was 15 years old, 18 years earlier was 1967, and the differences between 1985 & 1967 seem SO MUCH more extreme than the differences between 2011 & 1993. The confusing/disturbing/weird part is that I can't figure out why this is the case. Surely it can't only be because I actually experienced the years between '93 and '11, while I was either unborn or else a young child for most of the years between '67 and '85, can it? That just seems crazy. Perhaps it's because the changes in the world in the late 60s and 70s were so huge and important that it makes it feel as though 1967-1985 had to be more than 18 years.

Because think about it....

1967 was the Summer of Love, The Doors, Beatles, hippies, flowers in hair, Vietnam War, and protests.

The following 18 years were incredible: Students were shot at Kent State, the Vietnam War finally ended, the Women's Rights Movement took off, abortion was legalized, Watergate happened, there was the Three Mile Island incident, the arms race with the Soviets escalated, and punk co-existed with disco...just to name a few monumental events.


Now let's look at 1985:


Madonna, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, day-glo, drug cartels, Reaganomics, New Coke, Live Aid, and Miami Vice.

So much changed in the world from the late 60s to 1985!

However, when I think of the 18 years following 1993, sure there were some important events that occurred--most notably the terrorist attacks of 9-11, cell phones, and the Internet--but in 1993, the U.S. was in a recession and we were mired in Middle East nonsense...and well, it's pretty much the same today.

I think what it comes down to is innocence. Back in 1967, it seemed like our country still had an aura of innocence about it. Although I wasn't yet born, everything I've read, watched, and listened to from that era has me believing that people generally felt as if everything would be okay. People were still optimistic about the world and about life.

Innocence was lost shortly thereafter. It was hard to remain optimistic in the face of civilian massacres in Vietnam (and at home), the Charles Manson murders, and numerous rock star O.D.s. By 1985, forget it: Cynicism and pessimism ruled. We'd become a suspicious, untrusting nation.

But in 1993, innocence had already been lost, so there wasn't that same monumental change taking place in the 18 years following. We just went from pessimistic to pessimistic again.

Or maybe it just seems this way because I'm getting old and delusional. Who knows?

2 comments:

  1. Without taking much time to contemplate or prepare an argument for my case, I'd vote for "Experience." Meaning, the memories we're forming as children are very less detailed and very much more innner focused than the outer focused, experience-based memories we make as young adults and adults.

    From 1985 - 1993 (I'm a few years younger than you), I was focused on my clothes, on boys, and on Teen Magazine. Maybe a little bit on grades and on being pissed at my parents, but I certainly wasn't focused on what was going on in the world. But a lot did.

    Consider even JUST technology.

    I was just talking to a colleague of mine the other day about this.

    I left for college in 1992 with a Brother Word Processor. It was a big deal that I had my own as a lot of people went to the library to write their papers.

    However, my 1996 when I graduated, I had my first email account (the university I went to started giving them out that year), and my roomate had a desktop computer I used.

    The following year I was one of the first people to register an email account at Yahoo. (An account I STILL have to this day.) No one had email at my first job out of college (it was a small non-profit.) But two years later at Scholastic we did.

    But no texting, or much Internet use at all. And it was certainly frowned upon to do research on the Internet, unless it was on LexisNexis or something.

    I won't go on, but I do think that there have been significant societal changes in the last 18 years, but because we're experiencing them, our perspective is skewed.

    Wait til you're 18 years older than now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No everything would never be ok again
    Trust. All was lost. Now we know.
    Atleast the ones with eyes wide open.

    ReplyDelete